Skip to main content

I live in Calif. drivers license suspended in Ct 12 years ago. can i get it reinstated without having to go to Ct.

Victorville, CA |

i was stopped for a headlight violation, and had just finished a beer. i wasn't drunk. only had 1. when the cop asked me to do some sobriety tests i refused. they suspended me automatically for 6months or a year (i cant remember which one). but its a CDL license and it would be beneficial to my family if I could go back to driving again. i paid the price and 12yrs is a long time to go without a license.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you call the mandatory actions unit of the DMV, select the dui suspensions in the menu and ask what is holding up your license. I suspect you need to complete a dui class.

Contributions on in no way create an attorney-client relationship nor are they intended to be relied upon as a course of action without having first consulted directly with an attorney, where the specific facts and circumstances of your case can be fully discussed.


Its hard for anyone in California to say, with certainty. CT DUI laws are different, and technically, their DMV is a different agency altogether. Did you go to Court for the DUI? Did you have to complete any requirements placed by DMV? If so, but you havent completed them, it's likely you may not be able to get your license back until you complete the requirements CT is imposing. Even though it has been 12 years.

Any information provided through in response to a question is not, and cannot be considered a formation of any Attorney-Client relationship. Questioner understands that the nature of this system allows only for a cursory review of case information, and more detailed information should not be divulged in this public forum. As such, Questioner is recommended to contact an Attorney in order to discuss the full details of their case and a more specific advisement of potential rights and liabilities.



thank you. i just dont have the funds to travel back there. is there a judge or somebody i could call? i know ct is different, but would you have any advice?


Your question is not 100% clear. You have the right to refuse field sobriety tests. However once you are arrested in California you are required to submit to either blood or breath test. If you failed to do that you are looking at a DUI refusal that has greater penalties than a typical DUI. Call the DMV mandatory actions unit to determine what the status of your license is.
Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer