Skip to main content

I live in CA.My employer is based in Nebraska.i cant get state disability in CA,How do l get disability benefits not working?

Irwindale, CA |

I drive commercial big rigs for a Nebraska company, but live in CA. Jve been off for almost two months now with no finances coming in.Jm looking for an answer on how and who do I contact to start the process of obtaining disability benefits while hurt and not working.I hurt myself while home on vacation.

Attorney Answers 2


Injuries incurred at home on vacation do not fall under Workers' Compensation. Although you have an injury and a job, the injury has to be related to your job. State Disability benefits are paid into a fund by YOUR payroll deduction. Like Life Insurance, they only pay if you made your payments. Check your pay stubs to see if they perhaps paid into Nebraska fund for your disability.

Attorneys are very competitive. Choose the Best Answer so we know who helped you the most.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

1 comment

George Ellis Corson IV

George Ellis Corson IV


If you did pay into California State Disability (SDI on your paycheck), you can ask your MD to complete a CA SDI certification and you take it to the Employment Development Department closest to you. There is usually a 7 day wait period that is not paid, but you should be able to get benefits from the 8th day on.


I agree with Mr. Corson.

Mark as helpful

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics