I live in apartment complex and have been harassed since I have moved here.I am Native American and they have played that card.

Old Town, ME |
Filed under: Civil rights

They put a protection order on me,we went to court and the order was dismeissed,the judge knew who he bullies.Question,Can I put something in writing on my door?Every night and day they have a gossip session about me ,Now I am a Drug dealer.Anything to hurt my reputation or feelings.Can I let them know I am aware (i hear them bashing me) what they aresaying behind my back and not to my face?

Your right to speak your mind is generally protected by the 1st amendment, as long as you are not threatening anybody. Your apartment complex may have regulations that you signed that restrict some of your rights to display materials from your apartment. If not, then you probably can put something in writing on your door, as long as you are not damaging the property. You can certainly write letters to them, whoever they are, to let them know that you are aware of their gossiping.

ActuallyI disagree. Contacting those fools will only encourage them in thier vitriolic attacks. Be a bigger man and ignore them. Sticks and stones will break my bones, but name will never hurt me.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.

I think both answers already given are correct: absent any rules governing he placement of something on your door, you are free to post a note. However, I do not think that would help you at all in your situation. That act would just rile them up. Bullies prey on those folks out of whom they can get the biggest reaction. Ignore the best you can. Best of luck to you.

Attorney Inga Stevens is licensed in Maine. She provides general information on Avvo.com. No attorney-client relationship arises out of the information given here.

Civil rights topics