I live in an apartment on the second floor and one of the steps broke while going downstairs and hurt my back. What should I do?

I had my friend tell the front office of my apartment about the step being damaged 3 to 4 days prior to the step breaking and hurting my back.

Lubbock, TX -

Lennie F. Bollinger

Lennie F. Bollinger

Personal Injury Lawyer - Mckinney, TX

You should consider contacting an attorney. One of the most difficult hurdles for claimants to clear in a pemises liability case is proving that the property owner or manager knew about the dangerous condition. It sounds like your friend provided notice of the dangerous condition prior to your fall. The complex should have acted on your friend's report and repaired the damage prior to your fall. Talk with an attorney as soon as possible so evidence can be preserved, statements can be obtained, and other investigative step can be taken. Good luck.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

If you feel it is serious enough, contact a local personal injury lawyer to pursue a claim.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
Robert Bruce Kopelson

Robert Bruce Kopelson

Personal Injury Lawyer - San Jose, CA

You should contact a local lawyer asap. See a doctor for your injuries. Take photos before they fix the steps.

Byron Keith Barclay

Byron Keith Barclay

Personal Injury Lawyer - Houston, TX

If your friend reported the broken steps to the apartment manager prior to your fall, that will greatly improve the likelihood that you can prove the apartment management had actual knowledge about this problem. These matters are best handled by an experienced trial attorney, such as one who is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law.

I would recommend that you get pictures of the broken step, report your injury to the apartment manager or front office, and get to a doctor as soon as possible to examine you. Good luck to you.

Related Advice