I live in an apartment. A contractor who was working on the roof dropped materials on my car and damaged it beyond repair.

Asked over 1 year ago - Dayton, OH

The car was parked in an area that was not taped off or designated in any way as a no-parking area. I have pictures and the building custodian as a witness. Who do I go to for damages, the building owner or the contractor? What compensation can I reasonably demand.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Chase Randall Carter

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You need to take all the documentation you have, including pictures and the names of possible witnesses, to a competent attorney immediately. It sounds like you would have an active claim to recover damages to your car, as well as some possible secondary claims. The attorney will be able to advise you who would be the best possible person to bring the claim against.

    Chase Carter
    6 West Main
    Chillicothe Ohio 45601
    740 634 3110

    Answers given by Chase R. Carter, partner at Carter and George LLC do not constitute legal advice. Answers given... more
  2. Christopher Lee Beck


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . I would suggest speaking with the contractor to see if they will simply pay for the damage. I would suggest that you also speak with the Landlord and inform them of what happened. Keep in mind that sometimes you get more bees with honey than vinegar. If you approach them professionally and nicely they may not be as defensive. If that doesn't work I suggest getting an attorney involved. Good luck.

    Attorney Chris Beck
    Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
    Beavercreek, Ohio
    (937)510-6110 phone
    (937)867-4111 fax

    The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client... more

Related Topics

Lawsuits and disputes

If you're faced with a dispute that can't be resolved by negotiation, a lawsuit may be necessary. It will allow you to seek a legally binding solution in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,213 answers this week

3,544 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,213 answers this week

3,544 attorneys answering