I live in an apartment. A contractor who was working on the roof dropped materials on my car and damaged it beyond repair.

Dayton, OH |

The car was parked in an area that was not taped off or designated in any way as a no-parking area. I have pictures and the building custodian as a witness. Who do I go to for damages, the building owner or the contractor? What compensation can I reasonably demand.

You need to take all the documentation you have, including pictures and the names of possible witnesses, to a competent attorney immediately. It sounds like you would have an active claim to recover damages to your car, as well as some possible secondary claims. The attorney will be able to advise you who would be the best possible person to bring the claim against.

Chase Carter
6 West Main
Chillicothe Ohio 45601
740 634 3110

Answers given by Chase R. Carter, partner at Carter and George LLC do not constitute legal advice. Answers given do not constitute legal advice and any person having a legal question should contact counsel immediately. Mr. Carter is a private attorney that is available for hire after first consulting with Mr. Carter and negotiating a fee arrangement and signing an engagement letter. Mr. Carter is able to be contacted by visiting his firm's website at or calling 740 634 3110. No legal relationship and/or legal representation is established by answering questions on Avvo. Answers given are for purely educational purpose. No information given is protected by attorney client privilege and any person asking such questions is strongly encouraged to contact legal counsel before pursuing any legal matter.

I would suggest speaking with the contractor to see if they will simply pay for the damage. I would suggest that you also speak with the Landlord and inform them of what happened. Keep in mind that sometimes you get more bees with honey than vinegar. If you approach them professionally and nicely they may not be as defensive. If that doesn't work I suggest getting an attorney involved. Good luck.

Attorney Chris Beck
Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
Beavercreek, Ohio
(937)510-6110 phone
(937)867-4111 fax

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes