Skip to main content

I live in a theraputic home for children and was insufficiently trained. A child accused me of illegal restraint. Options?

Whippany, NJ |

My wife took a job as a professional parent of a non-profit theraputic treatment home with 4 kids 13-18. She is the one who works for them, but I was expected to live there too and help out with the kids. We were misled throughout the entire hiring process, , and we found ourselves coming to live in the home with next to no training at all. We weren't there for more than 9 days when one of 13 yr. old girls beat another 13 yr. old girls face to a bloody pulp. We called the "crisis number" we had been given and it said the number was out of service! We called our director, no one answered. I called 911. while waiting for the ambulance, I put my hand on the arm of the girl who did the punching to guide here into a separate room. Now I'm being accused of illegal restraint. My legal options?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Have you been officially charged with something? Sounds like you would need a Criminal Attorney if you have been charged...otherwise, report the incident to the company your wife works for, notify their insurance company and they will handle it from there.

This is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


Report it to the parent company hopefully they have insurance. If they don't they should hire you an attorney.


I agree with Mr. Dimian -- alert the insurance carrier about the situation.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


I would hope that the owner would have liability insurance, and if so, as the others have suggested, notify them immediately. If there are any security camera's, those should confirm what happened. I would be very careful staying at a facility where you feel you are inadequately trained. That can only lead to further problems.


Contact a local attorney and the management/ownership of the home. Good luck1

Without meeting with you, and knowing all the facts and circumstances of your case, my opinion is not to be construed as legal advice, just general educational information.


Owner should have insurance, so notify them

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer