I live in a rental home that has no insulation like it should to keep the home warm like it should we have to run the heat all

Asked over 3 years ago - Richmond, VA

night and day in order to keep it warm and when i moved in I had to do all the repairs to make it livable and there was no discount for that either now my ceiling is falling through and there hasn't been any responsed from the home owner in getting it fixed so it falls in and I loose all my furnishings and computer in the meantime the windows leak air and water when it rains and he increased the rent as well what can i do to make up for my loss and do i have a lawsuite

1. Charles Edward Mcwilliams Jr.

Answered . There are so many issues here that I'm not quite sure where to begin other than to tell you to get with a local tenant's rights/real estate attorney. If you want to obtain a better understanding of your rights, take a look at Chapter 55, Title 13.2 of the Va Code (Sec. 55-248.13 in particular). I think you'll find that unless the property is uninhabitable (or close to it) you don't have any reasonable grounds for suing, but depending on the terms of the lease, you may be able to terminate the lease and move out. All this assumes the landlord is subject to the Va. Residential Landlord and Tenant Act, and unless the landlord owns multiple properties, they may be exempt from the Act. The only way to know for certain is to get with a local attorney and go through all the details with them - and bring them a copy of your lease.

NOTE: If you find this response helpful, please click on the “thumbs up” button at the bottom.

DISCLAIMER: THE INFORMATION PRESENTED HERE IS GENERAL IN NATURE AND IS NOT INTENDED, NOR SHOULD IT BE CONSTRUED, AS LEGAL ADVICE. THIS POSTING DOES NOT CREATE ANY ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN US. FOR SPECIFIC ADVICE ABOUT YOUR PARTICULAR SITUATION, CONSULT A QUALIFIED ATTORNEY.