I live in a mobile home park. I rent the lot and I own the home. I want to sell the home and end the lot rent agreement.

My mother bought the mobile home in 2008 and started paying lot rent. I don't remember what month. She put the home in my name. Now I want to sell the home or remove it from the lot and end the lot rent agreement. The owner claims that the term renewed on November 1st and I have to pay rent through next October 31, 2013, even if I have the home removed. What can I do? The park owner is being difficult about approving tenants to take over the lot rent, so I need some anwers. Thank you for any anwers you can give.

Kissimmee, FL -

Barbara Billiot Stage

Barbara Billiot Stage

Foreclosure Attorney - Orlando, FL

Most of these mobile home parks have "lifetime lease agreements" which automatically renew on either the anniversary date of the execution of the agreement or on January 1st. The standard agreement usually contains a provision the agreement can be canceled by 90 days written notice to the owner. Check your lease agreement for cancellation language.

You don't mention how the park owner is making it difficult to rent the unit. Florida Statutes Chapter 723 governs lot tenancies for mobile homes and contains some duties and restrictions that might be applicable, but without any information I cannot give you a complete answer.

Marshall C Deason Jr.

Marshall C Deason Jr.

Real Estate Attorney - Tampa, FL

The answer to your question depends on the wording of the agreement that you mother signed. You should consult a lawyer in your area who is experienced in real estate and mobile home law.

Dennis Andrew Chen

Dennis Andrew Chen

Real Estate Attorney - Orlando, FL

You need an attorney to review the lot rental agreement which is part of the prospectus that should have been provided by the mobile home park. If it is not a park then the lot rental agreement. I can review the lot rental agreement for you if you email it to dennis@chenlaw.net or fax it to 1-866-571-3421

Related Advice