I live in a home and the landlord is asking us to pay cash w/no receipt. I have found out she has 2 properties as horse rentals.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fort Myers, FL

She said she does not want to claim " income " and if we do not comply she will evict . The home is under a 1st time buyers mortgage ( her daughter , who signed her a quit claim deed ) to get better rates . The 1 property next to us she has done this with for approx - 8 years . The 2 properties are both rented as we live in one . my CPA says no cash w / o receipt . I feel this income tax evasion . We are going to send the " check " as always certified mail on the 1st of march . We are planning to contest the eviction " if " she goes threw with it What can we do ? Ty

1. Carol Lynne Zimmerly

Pro

6

Answered . If you are sending a personal check, make a photocopy of it first and then send it certified mail.
    Keep the photocopy of the check and the green and white certified receipt.
    If the landlord files a lawsuit based on non-payment of rent, you have a defense of payment.
    Are you on a month-to-month basis, or are you renting for a term such as one year?
    The landlord can terminate the month-to-month if she wishes.

2. Heather Morcroft

5

Answered . If you were really vindictive, you could report her to the IRS. If they wound up recovering monies, you would get a reward of some percentage, I believe.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******