I live in a condo unit. I live on one side my sister in law lives in the other. She has not paid her condo fees for four months

Asked over 1 year ago - Gloucester, MA

She claims she is doing repairs on her roof and says she will pay out of pocket for those repairs. She is not following the rules of the by laws of the master deed. I was wondering if have the right to take her to court to recoup those fees.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Thomas J Callahan

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should speak to an attorney who specializes in condo law. If this is just a 2-unit condo, which one of you is the trustee charged with collecting the fees? Is it both of you (very common in 2-unit condos)? If she is paying for repairs directly, what harm has been caused thus far? Might it be more practical to have each unit be repsonsible for own repairs, as long as done with respect to the common design of the building? I am just asking these rhetorically, but the specifics of your condo may be that splitting is practical or not. If so, you might avoid the hassles of non-payment.

    To questioners from West Virginia & New York: Although I am licensed to practice in your state, I practice on a... more
  2. Henry Lebensbaum

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You have a better weapon. Contact a lawyer.

    henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

    Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex... more
  3. Emma A. Kremer

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . If she is not adhering to the bylaws in the master deed, either by not paying the fees or by making repairs or both and she will not pay the fees as required, then you should consult an attorney to review the master deed and any condominium trust agreements and to discuss what rights or remedies you may have. If the amount does not exceed $7,000 you may be able to file a complaint in small claims court. Best of luck.

    Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. (It lets us know how we are doing.)... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,561 answers this week

3,048 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,561 answers this week

3,048 attorneys answering