I live in a building that has 12 apts and the landlord bills us for the water. Is that legal?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami Beach, FL

I've been living in this building for 5 years owned by the Residence of South Beach. Three years ago the previous management started charging for water. At first it was 20 dollars a month. Then it increased to 30 the following year. Now the new management had been billing each tenant between 70-100 every two months. That's over 900-1000 dollars for this building that mostly has studio apartments. That's impossible. Water simple dont cost that much and the management won't show me a bill or explain how he came up with that number. I spoke with other tenants in other buildings with the same management and its the same story. Most managements in Miami include water in the rent. I wanna know if this is legal? There is only one water meter in the building too.

1. Rex Edward Russo

Pro

3

Answered . The rental agreement will govern what the landlord may, or may not, pass through as expenses to the tenants. Ideally, the rental agreement would state that a tenant is allowed to view a copy of the bill at the rental office, or provided a copy, whenever there was an adjustment. Unless someone is taking a constant shower, or cannot get away from the toilet, on a continuing monthly basis, that's an awful lot to charge. Certainly does seem very suspicious. In the absence of a written lease, or the written lease stating a right to see the water bill, I think the general requirement of dealing in good faith implies that the landlord should produce the water bill.