I lied about my name when I got pulled over the other day gave my best friends name and her liscense is suspended

Asked almost 2 years ago - Vineland, NJ

What are the penalties for lying to an officer in the state of new Jersey after the tickets were issued

1. Jeffrey Anthony Skiendziul

6

1

Answered . Did you receive a notice to appear in Municipal Court over this? If so, and this is your first time going to municipal court, you'll be arraigned. That means you'll be told about the criminal charge along with the possible consequences of a conviction if you are convicted. You should speak to a criminal defense attorney in person about what happened when you were pulled over in more detail so they can review the ticket(s) and the possible consequences a guilty finding would have. Good luck.

2. Eric M. Mark

Pro

6

Answered . You could be charged with the criminal offense of hindering apprehension. F
    you have no criminal history jail is unlikely but a fine and criminal
    record are likely.
    >

--
    Eric Mark, Esq.
    744 Broad St.
    16th Floor
    Newark, NJ 07102
    201-394-4676
    973-265-7677 Fax
    EricMarkEsq@gmail.com
    http://ericmarklaw.com
    Skype Username: EricMarkEsq
    See my full profile and client
    reviews

3. Adam Lefkowitz

6

Answered . In addition to my colleagues' answers, as a practical matter, you should consider how the consequences of your lies affect the viability of your friendship with your best friend. If her license is suspended and if the police think she's been driving while suspended, they might pursue charges against her. I'm not certain this will happen. But if it does, how will your friendship suffer? As to whether the police or the courts will recognize that you provided a false name, they might come to that conclusion; especially if your friend is charged while driving while suspended and as part of her defense argues she wasn't driving on the day you were pulled over. If they will have an epiphany and suddenly become aware of your real name - unlikely unless someone else tells them. As in all matters, I encourage all people to be honest and truthful.

4. Ronald P Mondello

4

Answered . There are none unless you tell them that you gave false information and they charge you as such. It is the State's burden...say nothing and don't make this stupid mistake again.

www.municipalcourt.com

5. Mark M Cheser

3

Answered . Your friend has a problem too. But you can be charged with giving false information to police. The implication of your friend under this statute is a crime. The false information is a disorderly. Under a separate statute it is also a disorderly persons offense. Although the maximum penalties include jail and probation you likely face just a fine and a record that may hurt employment. Your friend could go to jail depending on the facts.