I let my girl put our apt in her name and register my car in her name. We had an argument. She had the police throw me out

Asked almost 2 years ago - Bronx, NY

Claiming domestic abuse. Now she is trying to take the car I bought saying its hers. I'm going to court for assault I dis not hit her. I trusted her she was just after what I had. What to do?

1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

8

Answered . You hire a lawyer to fight all these issues!

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

2. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

8

Answered . First, you hire a lawyer to defend the criminal charges. Then you hire a lawyer to get your car back.

3. Arkady Bukh

Pro

7

Answered . You need to hire an attorney to defend you on the domestic abuse charge, if you were arrested and charged with that. You should also talk to perhaps a civil attorney with relation to the automobile and whose name is on the title to the car with intention of getting it back.

4. Samuel Michael Braverman

6

Answered . Not only do you need to hire an attorney immediately, but you need to start assembling your documents-about how you found the apartment, how the leasing signing occurred, who pays the rent; about how the car was purchased, who makes the payments, etc.

5. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

5

Answered . You need a good criminal defense lawyer to help reduce the charge via plea negotiation to something that will not leave you with a criminal record like a violation or ACD. I know lawyers who do this all the time in assault cases. If you maintain innocence that you did not assault her, you have the right to go to trial on the matter but if you lose, you will probably face jail and other consequences and it would be longer before you can move on with your life.

As for the car, you can pursue it in civil court by furnishing proof of sale that you are the rightful owner. It is recommended you hire a lawyer rather than do it yourself but there is information in the court clerk of most counties available for pro se or self-represented litigants.

As for the apartment, it will be more tricky but not impossible to remedy.

Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.

Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center

75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728
    E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com
    www.EstrellaLawyer.com

6. Michael Lewis Marley

Pro

5

Answered . You need an experienced, aggressive lawyer right now.,

Law Office Of Michael Marley
    Phone 917 853 4484

7. Kenan Lee Isitt

6

Answered . You need to hire an attorney or obtain a public defender and talk to him/her. Your first concern should be the criminal case; after that, you can figure out whether you can get your car back.

Assault can occur even if you do not touch the other person. You need to see the police reports and talk to your attorney about the specific facts.