I let a friend use my truck for a few months. They damaged the truck and damages are more then what its worth.

Syracuse, NY |

They said they would pay for all repairs and not to go to my insurance. The total damages are $12,670 the truck was worth $6,000. what can i do?

Always report every accident to the police and always go through their insurance to obtain proper compensation.

Click on the picture to see the profile of the lawyer answering your question. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

The reason we all pay the big bucks for our insurance coverage is to protect ourselves if and when there is a claim. When there is a claim for damage to a vehicle, this is what the insurance companies are geared up to do with licensed appraisers and adjusters who oversee the process. It is always a bad idea, especially if there is coverage, to go "outside" the insurance. Present an insurance claim. If it is too late, then your option is small claims court.

I truly wish you the best.

If you find my answer helpful, please click the ‘thumbs-up’ tab below. Thank you.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.