I lent my car to my cousin. He caused an accident and the car was not insured. Can I be sued.

He has clean driving and criminal record. He was sober. He does not have his own car and does not have insurance. My car was not insured either. The damage for the other car was for about $8,000. It was a new Lexus. Nobody was injured. He is in the police report as a driver. I was not even there. It happened in Los Angeles California. Thank you

Los Angeles, CA -

Malosack Berjis

Malosack Berjis

Personal Injury Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

As the registered owner of the vehicle, you can be held liable for up to $5,000 in property damages. (So, to answer your question, yes--you can be sued.)

Albert Lee Crosner

Albert Lee Crosner

Personal Injury Lawyer - Manhattan Beach, CA

Although your car and driver were uninsured, it does not mean that the driver of the Lexus was uninsured. Most likely, the driver of the Lexus has uninsured motorist coverage and should be able to collect from his insurance company. However, his insurance company more than likely will be seeking reimbursement for whatever they have to pay out and quite likely will be contacting you. In California, the law requires that minimum coverage be acquired if driving a vehicle here. Good luck.

Steven Mark Sweat

Steven Mark Sweat

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

You could be sued as the registered owner of the vehicle. You should contact him and try to negotiate some terms of settlement (possibly installments).

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Yes. Work out a payment plan.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Berkeley, CA

If the owner of the other car files a claim for Uninsured driver, his company will reimburse him and come after you and your friend for reimbursement. Also, the DMV will suspend your friend's license for driving without insurance. You may also be suspended. The only way to regain your license is to pay the claim. You can do this by paying outright the amount demanded or by entering into an agreement to pay. If you or your find do not have any money, then you may consider talking to a BK lawyer. Best of luck.

Benjamin Joseph Sansone

Benjamin Joseph Sansone

Personal Injury Lawyer - Saint Louis, MO

in most cases being the owner of a car does not make you legally liable for what a different driver does in your car. Unless there was negligence entrustment, for example if you knew he was drunk or a dangerous driver.