Skip to main content

I lent a couple$15,000.00 for a 3 month period, it is now 5 years later, they have paid me back less than $2000. Now what?

Buffalo, NY |

I have a written agreement,i don't have a judgement, now what?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Hire an attorney and sue them.


Let's have an agreement with someone, that someone owes you money, and they haven't paid. Luckily we have a civil way to deal with is called court.

Sue them, they have breached the agreement...what else were you hoping to learn here?...but you will want to check with an attorney to make sure you are within the statute of limitations to do so.


Sue. The statute of limitations is 6 years. Don't miss it.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


As my colleagues have aptly pointed out, you must bring a lawsuit with some haste because the statute of limitations will soon run. After the SOL has run, you will lose your right to repayment (you can make an argument that the SOL began to run when the last payment was made to you, and it will likely be successful).

Even if you do not believe that the couple has the money to repay the entire amount right now, there are judgment enforcement mechanisms that you can utilize to recover your money. Speak with an attorney as soon as possible. Many area attorneys, including myself, offer free consultations. Good luck.

McGrath Law Firm, PLLC Buffalo, NY Attorney-Client Relationship - The materials provided on this website are intended for informational purposes only. These materials are not intended and should not be interpreted or considered legal advice. The information provided by this site is not an invitation to an attorney-client relationship. A reader of this site should not rely on the information provided here for any purpose. Readers are reminded to always seek legal advice from an attorney duly licensed in an appropriate jurisdiction. Additionally, any communication via e-mail, phone, or other form, are not intended to solicit or create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship between this firm and any third party. Legal Warranty - This website provides general information and may not reflect all current legal developments. You should not take action based on the information provided by this website. The law is ever changing, and facts and circumstances are critical to assessing a legal claim; therefore, information provided by this site may not be applicable to your particular situation, and should not be perceived as legal advice or opinion.


Don't delay. Hire a lawyer to start a lawsuit ASAP! Tghe statute of limitations is running on the note. If it runs out you will lose your right to sue.

The information contained in this posting is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The furnishing of this information does not create an attorney client relationship. An attorney client relationship requires the furnishing, review, and signing of a retainer agreement.


You might also talk to a CPA about claiming a loss on your taxes if you cannot collect.

My response is general information not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. Seek advice from a qualified attorney to see how the law fits your specific facts. I am licensed to practice law in Washington and Oregon.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer