Skip to main content

I lent a "friend" $460.00, over a year ago and she won't pay me back.

Killeen, TX |

We had a verbal agreement, bank statement showing the atm withdrawl, text messages and emails of her stating that she owes me this money and all her weekly excuses. This has been over a year.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. This is a small claims case. File in local JP court when the defendant resides

  2. Shakespeare said "neither a borrower nor a lender be." If you give money to a friend, you need to decide what the value of the friendship is and give accordingly. Collecting a debt is a messy business and you could wallpaper a local stadium with the legal paperwork of court judgments that cannot be collected. Hope this perspective helps!

  3. You sue in the small claims court and you could win, but collecting is highly unlikely. Keep in mind that Texas is an extremely debtor friendly state. Nobody gets your house except the lender and the IRS. Nobody gets your car except the lender and the IRS. Nobody gets your wages except the IRS and child support. Nobody gets your pension/retirement/401k/IRA except the IRS. Most people don't have any thing more than that, so there is nothing to get to satisfy a judgment. HOWEVER, a judgment is good for 10 years and can be renewed.

    This comment is given for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.