I lent a "friend" $460.00, over a year ago and she won't pay me back.

Asked over 1 year ago - Killeen, TX

We had a verbal agreement, bank statement showing the atm withdrawl, text messages and emails of her stating that she owes me this money and all her weekly excuses. This has been over a year.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael Glynn Busby Jr.


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is a small claims case. File in local JP court when the defendant resides

  2. Lu Ann Trevino


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . You sue in the small claims court and you could win, but collecting is highly unlikely. Keep in mind that Texas is an extremely debtor friendly state. Nobody gets your house except the lender and the IRS. Nobody gets your car except the lender and the IRS. Nobody gets your wages except the IRS and child support. Nobody gets your pension/retirement/401k/IRA except the IRS. Most people don't have any thing more than that, so there is nothing to get to satisfy a judgment. HOWEVER, a judgment is good for 10 years and can be renewed.

    This comment is given for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.
  3. Dorothy G Bunce


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Shakespeare said "neither a borrower nor a lender be." If you give money to a friend, you need to decide what the value of the friendship is and give accordingly. Collecting a debt is a messy business and you could wallpaper a local stadium with the legal paperwork of court judgments that cannot be collected. Hope this perspective helps!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,034 answers this week

2,339 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,034 answers this week

2,339 attorneys answering