Skip to main content

I left the states on a voluntary departure in June 2006 . I entered the states as a student holding a F1 visa and my wife as F2

06606 |
Filed under: Immigration

I left the states on a voluntary departure in June 2006 . I entered the states as a student holding a F1 visa and my wife as F2 dependent student . We have two kids born in USA . I live in Canada And i would like to apply for tourist B1 visa to visit  the states with my family My situation in Canada is great . I have a good job , own a house .....what are my chances to obtain a tourist visa ? If it denied what are the steps ?
Best regards 

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Your facts are not sufficient to give you an answer; You might have accrued illegal presence and that would render you barred for three/ten years

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  2. Please work with a local IMM attny, you may have overstayed and incurred illegal presesence which could cause problems, take care.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

  3. Are you subject to the 10 - year bar for unlawful presence?

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics