I know this guy on trial for a misdemeanor and his gf is in custody for something criminal and has a hearing

Asked 5 months ago - Hollywood, FL

Coming up in like a month.the guy asked for a continuance and his hearing is same day as gf,is this a coincidence or did he ask to get this on the same day so he can get her to be a witness?

1. Michael Adam Haber

Pro

1

Answered . Coincidence.

Clients / Defendants do not get to pick court dates.

If you want someone to be a witness then you must list them and serve them with a subpoena.

Merely being present in court, especially if you are charged with a crime, does not compel you to be a witness for anyone else.

I hope this has been helpful.

2. Alberto Marino Quirantes Jr.

Pro

Answered . Court dates are set by the courts at their convenience, thus if a court date was set on the same date as another defendant, it was probably a coincidence.

3. Douglas Holbrook

1

Answered . Unfortunately, I missed class the day they covered mind reading back in law school. However, the continuance to the same day as his girlfriend's hearing was undoubtedly no co-incidence. But why he requested it for that date would fall into the arena of things covered on that day that I missed class. So your guess is as good as anybody's.