I know malpractice is a tort in Wisconsin. Is battery by doctors recognized as well?

Wittenberg, WI |

If you were the victim of a battery in any state, call the police immediately. Good luck.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

You don't call the police from a medical battery. Can you answer the question now?

Touching a person without permission is considered a battery, and battery is a tort. That is the basis of the law of informed consent. If permission was obtained without properly informing the patient, that is no permission at all. Or so the theory goes. As a practical matter, almost nobody gets compensated for battery by a health care provider. The battery theory usually gets folded into a malpractice claim.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

Are you speaking for New York or Wisconsin?

Are you saying the reason almost nobody gets compensated for battery by a health care provider is because most of the time the theory is folded into a malpractice claim?

http://www.americanprofessional.com/APA_NewsLetters/APA-informedconsent.pdf

Joseph Jonathan Brophy

Joseph Jonathan Brophy

The law of battery is the same in every state as far as I know. If a doctor treats you without any consent at all, that is technically a battery, but it is usually a malpractice, too. It would be up to your lawyer to decide how to frame the claim, based on specific information which you have not provided. For that matter, it isn't clear that this is a real case or a hypothetical. If it is a real case, call a medical malpractice lawyer in Wisconsin. Don't try to represent yourself under any circumstances.

Thank you.

Contact the police first to file battery charges. Battery is a criminal offense, however what damages were incurred as a result?

Jim Magazine

Why would anyone contact the police first for medical battery? Unless it was sexual contact, which it wasn't.

It was failure to obtain consent (failure to even begin the process of consent) and treatment WITHOUT consent.