I know I am being investigated for an overpayment. I have not received a letter from the state yet,...?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Racine, WI

I have 2 small children and feel I may have said too much already I want to avoid being charged and am more then willing to pay whatever the amount is. Should i retain an attorney now or after I recieve letter?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Tajara Dommershausen


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Stop talking to any investigators. Call a local defense attorney and talk to them asap-most will give a free phone consultation. Now is better so they can help you try to explain away anything you have already said before you are charged (or work out a deferred agreement so you don't get charged)

    In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does... more
  2. Maxwell Charles Livingston


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Tajara makes good points. It is highly recommended that one consult with a criminal defense attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,723 answers this week

2,251 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,723 answers this week

2,251 attorneys answering