I just went for my fingerprint for my permanent 10yrs resident since getting my green card I have traveled back home twice last

Asked 6 months ago - Washington, DC

Year may for 3 weeks and I also plan on going in march for 4 weeks.I want to know if traveling in march will affect me filing for naturalization in November which will be the right time to file for naturalization. I read I have to be in the country 13months straight before applying how true is that? Please advise. Thanks

1. Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski

Answered . You do not have to be in the country 13 months straight before applying. Your traveling in March will not affect your continuous presence for eligibility for citizenship.

Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
    Attorney & Counselor at Law
    I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
    1199 N Fairfax St., Ste 702
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    Tel: (703) 527-1779
    ismail@islawfirm.com
    www.islawfirm.com

2. Ofelia L Calderon

Answered . That is not true. You have to be physically present in the U.S. for half of the statutory period (either 5 years or 3 years depending on how you got your permanent residence) and should not have traveled out for more than 6 months during that period.

3. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

Answered . You need to be in the US for half of the eligibility period. If you are married to a US citizen, and living together, your physical presence must be 18 months. If you obtained your green card through another basis, you need to be in the US 30 months. In both cases you may file 90 days before the qualifying period.