I just want to know if my previous employer can withhold my last paycheck because of a personal debt issue outside of the job

Asked over 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

m I had a personal business deal outside of my place of employment and in conclusion of this business I was in debt to my boss because of something he purchased from my personal business in which had absolutely nothing to do with my job but he wont it as an employee advance on my last paycheck and docked that amount

1. Matthew Erik Johnson

Answered . He absolutely cannot.

2. Guy W Bluff

Pro

Answered . Short Answer = NO.

The distinction here is that you claim it was a "personal" debt and thus not related to your employment. Had the debt been in the nature of an employee advance, he could withhold (Offset) it from your final check.

Under the described facts, this is a separate business loan, not related to your employment.