I just started my new business and I buy product WITHOUT paying tax and re-sell then I INCLUDE TAX on my receipts continued...

Asked over 1 year ago - Grand Rapids, MI

If I am doing work for an organization that is TAX EXEMPT ~ like my company - who then pays the tax or how to I bill it...My CPA is closed for a week (Tax Season) I need to do an estimate with them today. I am in the State of Michigan. How do I quote this job and wher do I place the tax liability? thank you.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Pamela Koslyn

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You need to ask your own CPA who knows the retails about your business, and how your business relates to this other tax exempt business. No one on this site or any other anonymous, general, free site knows what your business is doing.

    Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to... more
  2. James H Sutton Jr.

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I agree with the prior answer. Tax exempt projects can get very tricky, believe it or not. Sometime the vendor ends up owing the tax instead of the tax exempt customer making the whole transaction tax exempt.

    Regarding bidding the project, I suggest throwing in language that the price presumes that the transaction will be tax exempt but that if taxes are deemed to apply, then they are included in the bid.

    I hope this helps.

  3. John F. Brennan

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . You need to provide the details of the transaction before an answer can be given. Retail sales tax is generally assessed on the sale sale to the ultimate consumer. Therefor items sold wholesale, to anther seller are not taxed AT THAT STAGE. Many pele are also confused about what is actually tax exempt. Call my office, or anther attorney tomorrow with details.

    To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an... more

Related Topics

Small business LLCs

An LLC (limited liability company) is a business entity that has elements of both a corporation and a partnership (or sole proprietorship).

Small business taxes

Small business taxes include state and federal income taxes and employment taxes, self-employment taxes, and excise taxes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,915 answers this week

2,771 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,915 answers this week

2,771 attorneys answering