I just started my new business and I buy product WITHOUT paying tax and re-sell then I INCLUDE TAX on my receipts continued...

Asked over 1 year ago - Grand Rapids, MI

If I am doing work for an organization that is TAX EXEMPT ~ like my company - who then pays the tax or how to I bill it...My CPA is closed for a week (Tax Season) I need to do an estimate with them today. I am in the State of Michigan. How do I quote this job and wher do I place the tax liability? thank you.

1. Pamela Koslyn

2

1

Answered . You need to ask your own CPA who knows the retails about your business, and how your business relates to this other tax exempt business. No one on this site or any other anonymous, general, free site knows what your business is doing.

2. James H Sutton Jr.

2

1

Answered . I agree with the prior answer. Tax exempt projects can get very tricky, believe it or not. Sometime the vendor ends up owing the tax instead of the tax exempt customer making the whole transaction tax exempt.

Regarding bidding the project, I suggest throwing in language that the price presumes that the transaction will be tax exempt but that if taxes are deemed to apply, then they are included in the bid.

I hope this helps.

3. John F. Brennan

Answered . You need to provide the details of the transaction before an answer can be given. Retail sales tax is generally assessed on the sale sale to the ultimate consumer. Therefor items sold wholesale, to anther seller are not taxed AT THAT STAGE. Many pele are also confused about what is actually tax exempt. Call my office, or anther attorney tomorrow with details.