I just spoke to a border patrol officer and he informed me that the resident alien cards with no expiration date (I-551)

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

are fine to travel with because there is no law yet stating to have a new version yet. So why do all immigration lawyers tell me i have to have a new one? I would like to know where that
is written? Any opinion?

1. Sema Yildirim

4

Answered . Seems you prefer to listen to a border patrol officer even if attorneys have advised you differently. You seem to not want to believe what the attorneys have said. So why are you asking attorneys?

2. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . Your card is still good -just old. You have been a permanent resident for long enough to apply for citizenship. Just my opinion.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with my colleague. All you need to do is travel and attempt to come back with one of those green cards that have no expiration date.. You will be in for a big surprise! But, hey, since you prefer to believe border patrol officers rather than immigration lawyers.. You'll have no one else to blame but yourself.

4. Nicolas Andres Olano

Pro

2

Answered . Good luck next time you use it coming in.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created.