I just spoke to a border patrol officer and he informed me that the resident alien cards with no expiration date (I-551)

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

are fine to travel with because there is no law yet stating to have a new version yet. So why do all immigration lawyers tell me i have to have a new one? I would like to know where that
is written? Any opinion?

Your card is still good -just old. You have been a permanent resident for long enough to apply for citizenship. Just my opinion.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Seems you prefer to listen to a border patrol officer even if attorneys have advised you differently. You seem to not want to believe what the attorneys have said. So why are you asking attorneys?

I agree with my colleague. All you need to do is travel and attempt to come back with one of those green cards that have no expiration date.. You will be in for a big surprise! But, hey, since you prefer to believe border patrol officers rather than immigration lawyers.. You'll have no one else to blame but yourself.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Good luck next time you use it coming in.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created.