I just sold my house which was in my trust B. Do I need an attorney to update my trust or can I just mark Trust B house sold .

Asked about 1 year ago - Belmont, CA

Should I mark date and any details?

1. Rosemary Jane Meagher-Leonard

2

Answered . I agree with Attorney McMahon, it is not a good idea to just mark the trust documents. If your trust includes a Schedule A , then you may just need to amend or revise that schedule , leaving off the sold property. This schedule is sometimes called something else, such as "Separate Property", "Community Property", etc. but is generally a list of your trust assets. If there is such a schedule, and the specific property is not mentioned elsewhere in your trust, then you may be able to prepare a new schedule yourself.

2. Ruth Elaine McMahon

3

Answered . DO NOT MAKE HANDWRITTEN CHANGES TO YOUR TRUST. Handwritten changes may make the trust invalid. Just attach a copy of the deed you signed to the trust and the successor trustee will understand that the house no longer exists as a trust asset.

3. Donna R Blaustein

3

Answered . If you specifically left the house to someone in your original trust, you may want to amend the document. If you did not do so, and the house was just an asset owned by the trust, you should not have to amend the document since trust assets frequently change. Either way, DO NOT write on the document. Speak to your attorney.

4. Kevin D Quinn

Pro

1

Answered . Sale of an asset would not require a change in the trust document. You should in fact assure that your trust asset record indicates the date of sale, the amount, where the funds were deposited (presumably in an account within Trust B), and who purchased the property.

You should discuss with your accountant whether you or the trust will have realized capital gain and whether you or the trust should make an estimated tax payment.

In that "Trust B" could refer to a a revocable or irrevocable trust and you have not disclosed the beneficiary of this trust, I cannot comment further on the disposition of the funds.

While you may not need the services of an attorney, you should seek advice from an accountant regarding the funds.