I just received letter from store and they asking me pay amount for this items in 21 days, this is civil clam, today is Saturday

Carrollton, TX |

i was arrested for shoplifted , I just received letter from store and they asking me pay amount for this items in 21 days, this is civil clam, so i want to know do i need pay them? if i will pay them maybe case can not be dismissed, what you think?

1. You are right that this is most likely a CIVIL DEMAND. It has NOTHING to do with any criminal charges. They COULD sue you for the money if you don't pay... BUT the cost of them filing a lawsuit against you makes it very unlikely they will pursue this. This is a tactic they use to get money from people who are easily frightened. If you cannot afford it, you can ignore them.

BEST ANSWER I got....I hope I was HELPFUL!

2. I agree with Mr. Hamer. This has nothing to do with the criminal charges. You are best hiring a lawyer to represent you on the criminal case.

The information provided is not advice but a legal perspective and you should schedule a consultation with the lawyer of your choice.

3. I agree with the other answers. It's up to you whether you want to pay it, but most likely it won't do you much good one way or the other. If you're still unsure, then you should bring the letter to your attorney and have him or her review it and provide you with their opinion. Best of luck!

The above is for academic purposes and is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

4. Retailers have legal authority under the Texas Theft Liability Act to pursue civil action against individuals who have been charged with theft. Do you need to pay it? The short answer is: no. You can probably ignore this letter and any other letters that they send to you. However, be sure that the demand letter is only that - a demand letter. If it merely threatens a potential lawsuit, it is a demand letter. If it includes language stating that "you have been sued" and "you have a deadline to respond to the suit", then it may be a filed lawsuit. If it is a filed lawsuit, it will include the specific court that has jurisdiction over the case.
    Consult an experienced criminal defense attorney regarding the theft charge.