I just received an email from the Mandatory Actions Unit of the DMV that I'm rather confused about. Does this make any sense?

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

It said.. " Our records indicate that you were mailed an Order of Suspension on June 16, 2011, to the address of record, informing you that your license was suspended effective March 2, 2007, and informing you of the Departments restriction/reinstatement requirements. " It also said that the courts had "updated" my conviction, and when it updated my conviction, it also suspended my license. Does this make sense to anyone? How does a conviction get "updated?" Especially after I had already served my sentence for the "original" conviction?

*UPDATE* Firstly, my license was not suspended for 4 months from DMV action only. (Admin per se did NOT apply) I was convicted in 2007 however the courts did not suspend my license. After receiving the notice, I emailed the MAU and was told the reason for the suspension was because the court updated my conviction and suspended my license at that time. I went back to the courthouse recently to inquire about the "updated" conviction, and the courts had no idea what I was talking about. There was never an "update" to the conviction, nor was my license ever ordered to be suspended. According to the courts records office, the abstract sent to the DMV stated that I was sentenced to Jail. There were no additional codes requiring a license suspension. I feel as though I've caught the DMV in an outright lie, but my question is, what can I do about it? How do I get my license back?

1. Bradley R Corbett

3

Answered . Yes that makes sense. You are suspended for 4 months from the DMV action only. But when you are convicted in court the DMV will update their system and you will have another 6 months on a first time dui.

2. Michael Larson Stuart

1

Answered . I agree with the previous attorney's answer, but I would add that the additional (second) suspension as the result of your conviction may be cut short once you serve the first 4 month suspension and complete your first conviction program. The two suspensions run concurrently (at the same time) as one another, so hopefully it will go by quickly for you.

Never discuss confidential information on a public website. Always speak with an attorney in a confidential setting.

The above response is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes and is not a legal consultation. You must talk with an attorney of your choice before making any decision about your actual legal rights

3. James Cannon Huber

1

Answered . The DMV is a governmental agency with employees that are well known for making mistakes. And the tough part is getting them to correct such errors. It sounds like a mistake was made here. So take all your paperwork to the DMV and see if they will straighten it out. If not, you can file a writ of mandumus in court that will compel the DMV to correct its error.

4. David Philip Shapiro

Pro

1

Answered . Call mandatory actions in Sacramento or hire an attorney to do so for you.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555