I just received a Medi-Cal Estate Recovery Questionaire. My father was in a nursing home for five months prior to his passing in

Asked over 3 years ago - Long Beach, CA

September of 2010. His only asset, his home, was placed in an irrevocable trust in 2005, with me as trustee, so I do not believe California will be able to recover anything for his care. My dad did have a checking account (under $2,000) with me as joint owner. Am I in any way responsible to the state for reimbursement of his care which I estimate to be approx $25,000? The questionnire also asks the names of his heirs which would be my sister and myself. Must I provide this information? Thank you.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Robert Jan Suhajda

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . If you are referring to Medi-Cal Estate Recovery Questionaire, form DHCS 6251, then the answer is "YES".

    Although the above response is believed to be accurate, it should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice because the information provided is incomplete. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. No attorney client relation is formed with me without a written contract.

    Good Luck starts with a strategy and a plan.

    Robert J. Suhajda, MS,CPA
    17721 Norwalk Blvd. #43
    Artesia, CA 90701

    Former financial auditor and controller. Admitted to US Tax Court, Income Tax, IRS representation, Fiduciary income tax returns, Estate and Gift tax returns,
    Homeowner Association Strategist.

    As a strategist, I analyze and integrate the operations, reserve study, budget, and financial statements into a unitary plan for 1 – 5 years, utilizing my experience as
    a former treasurer and vice president of a homeowners' association and corporate
    controller and auditor, to minimize homeowner association dues.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,437 answers this week

2,972 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,437 answers this week

2,972 attorneys answering