I just quit my job because i had another job offer and my boss got in my face about it so i left and now he is saying i owe him.

Monroe, NY |

i left on a tuesday at the end of the day and went back in on friday to return my uniforms and pick up my paycheck. and instead of getting my check i got a list of things my boss is charging me for totaling upwards of 700 dollars. things that happened weeks even months ago that i was never told i had to pay for. he took half of the money out of my paycheck and made me sign a hand written peice of paper saying i will pay him the rest. (i just scribbled) but i had to or he wasnt going to give me the rest of my paycheck. and then he wanted me to sign the rest back over to him once he gave it to me. i have already contacted the department of labor and labor standards and im going next week to fill out forms so they can launch an investigation. but what else should i do? i am worried.

1. Let the Department of Labor deal with it.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. This is right in the wheel house of what the Department of Labor Wage Enforcement Division handles, you are in good hands.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

3. What he did looks illegal and the Dept of Labor will get to the bottom of it. Be patient.