I just quit my job because i had another job offer and my boss got in my face about it so i left and now he is saying i owe him.

Asked over 1 year ago - Monroe, NY

i left on a tuesday at the end of the day and went back in on friday to return my uniforms and pick up my paycheck. and instead of getting my check i got a list of things my boss is charging me for totaling upwards of 700 dollars. things that happened weeks even months ago that i was never told i had to pay for. he took half of the money out of my paycheck and made me sign a hand written peice of paper saying i will pay him the rest. (i just scribbled) but i had to or he wasnt going to give me the rest of my paycheck. and then he wanted me to sign the rest back over to him once he gave it to me. i have already contacted the department of labor and labor standards and im going next week to fill out forms so they can launch an investigation. but what else should i do? i am worried.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Let the Department of Labor deal with it.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was... more
  2. Vincent Peter White

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is right in the wheel house of what the Department of Labor Wage Enforcement Division handles, you are in good hands.

    This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any... more
  3. James K. Lyder

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . What he did looks illegal and the Dept of Labor will get to the bottom of it. Be patient.

Related Topics


Employment law governs employee pay, non-discrimination policies, employment classifications, and hiring and firing at the federal, state, and local levels.

Employee rights

Employee rights in the United States include receiving legal and agreed-upon wages, working in physically safe conditions, and being free from harassment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,020 answers this week

3,376 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,020 answers this week

3,376 attorneys answering