I just moved from California to Idaho. And got a dui with my Cali license, what do i do?

Sandpoint, ID |

I now live in Idaho.
I don't live in California.
I just havent gotten my Idaho License yet.
But Got a dui on friday night.
My fiance bailed me out and I was released Saturday morning.
How do I handle this?

If you failed a breath alcohol test, then Idaho will suspend your license anyway. Technically they do not suspend your California license because they do not have authority to suspend your California license. They essentially issue you a dummy license and suspend that license. Then they notify California that they suspended the Idaho license and California will follow suit just as they would had you gotten the DUI in California.

What you do next is call a defense attorney in the town you were arrested in, and do so quickly because you only have 7 days to appeal the license suspension with the Idaho Department of Transportation. If you miss the deadline you will lose standing the challenge the suspension.

You can also read the links I've attached for further help when it comes to DUI cases in Idaho.

so essentially, I'm going to be having to deal with double the convictions? Is that what your saying? California will persecute me, and so will Idaho?

L Craig Atkinson

L Craig Atkinson

Technically a license suspension is not a conviction, it is an administrative revocation of your right to drive in that State. I know and you know that the effect feels the same as double jeopardy, but it is not.

What about criminally though? Will I have to pay California fines, ON TOP of Idaho fines? Court/etc?

Thank you so much by the way.

L Craig Atkinson

L Craig Atkinson

You will not be prosecuted by California. You will have to pay reinstatement fees and associated costs with reinstating your license, but you will not be fined or receive jail from California.

I agree with Mr. Atkinson. I would just add that, in a DUI case, there is much more for you to worry about than just the license suspension (though the license suspension is a big and often devastating part of a DUI case). It is critical for you to meet with an attorney immediately and defend yourself against this charge. A qualified defense attorney will help you immensely.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI