I just incorporated one of my businesses and want to form a subsidiary of that corporation with another business I own. What

are the benefits of forming a subsidiary as opposed to just incorporating the second business?

There are no inherent benefits. Some might argue it aids in asset protection, but whatever benefits it confers are cancelled by the double documentation and administration.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

I agree, Michael Doland is right. I would add another factor, that a subsidiary has the advantage that if the two companies are in the same general field, a feeling of a bigger enterprise can be conveyed by “subsidiaries”. But if the two companies are in different fields, the legal benefits are as Michael Doland writes. Check though with your accountant if there is a tax advantage to one or the other.

I generally agree with my colleagues .but as a lawyer that also an economist I will advice prior of asking the question of formulating any subsidiary, you need to discuss and review the reasoning behind that decision. For u to ask u have something specific in your mind. To play the "devil's" advocate, you need to know there are many issues to be explored. Case law teach us as lawyer that sometimes subsidiaries,if not formulated in a serious legal reasoning can be construed as basis of tax evasion, fraud,effort to hide assets, profits etc.
You need to be advised by lawyers that are economists and fraud examiners and can guide you appropriately. Some of us in avvo have those credential.

Disclaimer:Attorney and Fraud Examiner.One of few that are Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE). The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+.

Athina Karamanlis Powers

Athina Karamanlis Powers

Misspellings = small keyboard

Corporations are often used for liability protection. If you own two separate corporations, each has a separate liability protection. If Corporation A owns all the stock of Corporation S (the subsidiary) , and a law suit is successful against A, since all the stock of S is owned by A, it will be subject to the claims of the judgment creditor. Better liability protection is afforded by two brother sister corporations.

The response to this question does NOT create an attorney client relationship and is an effort to provide a gratuitous general response without ability to determine accurate facts. An attorney client relationship can be implemented only be a formal engagement letter accepting representation. Do not rely on the response provided herein as advice to you.

Tax law topics