I just had twins and Im getting push back on their last name submitted on their birth certificate.

Asked 9 months ago - Baton Rouge, LA

I legally changed my last name in 2013. I have a court order and my LA license has been changed. The state kicked back their birth certificate application with my legally changed name. Please advise?

1. Lauren G. Coleman

1

Answered . Louisiana Revised Statute 40:34 (iv) states that "If the child is born outside of marriage, the surname of the child shall be the mother's maiden name. If the father is known and if both the mother and the father agree, the surname of the child may be that of the father or a combination of the surname of the father and the maiden name of the mother." If you properly changed your name you should have a Judgment signed by the judge authorizing the name change. A driver's license is not sufficient.