I just had a modification of child support finalized about two months ago, but lost my job since then, can I modify it again?

Seattle, WA |

I had a modification of child support done about two months ago, then I lost my job 1 month later, I am actively looking for employment, however I do not have the funds to pay child support or rent. I also filed for unemployment, but it is still pending. Can I ask the court to modify it even though it has not been 24 months?

A substantial change of circumstances allows a party to request modification at any time; see section (I)(2) of the following publication:

I can't say for sure that a commissioner would agree that this qualifies, since you may be receiving unemployment soon which could make it possible for you to continue paying, but it's worth a shot. You might want to consider consulting with an attorney or a free legal clinic ( to go over the specific facts of your case, such as the current orders, basis for most recent modification, and current employability, to prepare your best case and get a feel for your chances of success.

Recommended articles about Employment