Skip to main content

I just got paperwork that my ex filled to have her child support payments lowered..

South Setauket, NY |

I just got paperwork in the mail today that my ex wants to have her support payment for our daughter lowered.. I was originally awarded 691 a month when we were both in the army and in NC.. Since then I was discharged on a parenthood discharge and had to move back home to NY. (Which she was aware was going to happen and did not fight) she sent her son from a previous marriage to TX while she went on a 6 month deployment. Now she wants payments lowered because she now has her son back.

I am only taking home 350 dollars a week and also have her enrolled in a daycare/ preschool two days a week. I have a few questions.

Is it possible to file for support up here or do I have to have jurisdiction changed first.
If not will NC take the cost of living difference into account between NC & NY

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Re-post in the North Carolina section here on Avvo for more insight. If you plan on bringing an action in New York, it should be brought in the state in which the child resides.


I concur

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


It's always better to seek support where the "pockets" are, however, if she is bringing you to Court here, you should file for an upward modification and request her cooperation for child care so both cases are heard together.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer