I just got my permanent green card for 10 yrs. Can I petition for my parents?

Vallejo, CA |
Filed under: Immigration

When could it be possible to petition my parents when I have only the permanent green card.

1. No. Permanent residents cannot petition for parents; only US citizens can.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

2. You must be a US citizen and over 21 years old to petition your parents for a green card.

3. You must be a US citizen and over the age of 21 in order to petition for your parents.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

4. You will need to naturalize (become a United States Citizen, not just a Lawful Permanent Resident), and be over the age of 21 before you can petition for your parents.

Obtain a consultation from a local immigration attorney so they can ask the right questions in order to give you the most accurate answer. Immigration law is complicated and it is difficult to give definite answers via a public forum.

Thomas J. Baker
    Law Office of Daniel M. Wigon
    Associate Attorney
    916-447-8975
    www.wigonlaw.com

Main Office:
    816 H Street Suite 108
    Sacramento, CA 95814

Martinez Office:
    820 Alhambra Ave
    Martinez, CA 94553