I just got my judgment in my case last week. Is it mandatory that I file a motion to reconsider before filing an appeal?

Asked about 2 years ago - Westminster, MD

I had a dismissal hearing last week and the judge dismissed my case. I believe the judge made several errors in his opinion. I want to appeal the case, but need to know if I should first try a motion to reconsider in the circuit courtor should I file an appeal, with the court of special appeals?

The judge also missed many facts in my complaint that prove his decision was wrong. I am representing myself in MD and am just wondering if I MUST do a motion for reconsideration before filing an appeal.

1. Mark William Oakley

1

1

Answered . You do not need to file a motion to reconsider before filing an appeal. The issue is this: if you file a motion to reconsider, alter or amend a judgment within 10 days of the judgment, then the 30 day time to file an appeal is extended until 30 days after the court rules on your motion. If you wait more than 10 days after the judgment to file a motion to reconsider, then the 30 day appeal time continues to run, so you would have to file an appeal before the motion is decided or you will lose the right to appeal.