Skip to main content

I just got my conditional green card this year. Can i leave the US twice later this year?

Las Vegas, NV |

I just received my green card earlier this year. I wanted to know if its too risky to visit Canada for a week this September and for a month to Asia on December? I will just be going by myself, not with my family or husband. Will that affect my case when I will file to remove the condition of my greencard? I am worried Immigration might question me for leaving the country twice this year, especially i was out of ststus for 5 years before my husband petition me. All your answers are very much appreciated.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Best answer

    No reason for concern. While you are 100 percent correct to ask these questions, there is no need to worry. You can travel as much as you like as long as you spend 50% or more of your time each year in the United States.

  2. No. There should be no problem traveling with a provisional green card.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

  3. I agree with my colleague. There should be no problem with you traveling without your spouse.

  4. Do remember to take your green card with you as that is the documentation that ensures you will be allowed to re-enter the country.

  5. You are prudent to have asked such a question. The answer is that you should not be concerned about these brief and casual trips abroad. Please remember to keep track of your exits and entries from the US as you will need it later if you apply for US citizenship. Also remember to ensure that you do not stay away from the United States for more than 6 months in any one year.

    Gary D. Goodin (702) 423-2721,, Goodin Law P.A. 3440 E Russell Road, Suite 226 Las Vegas Nevada 89120 . Note: Gary D. Goodin is an attorney licensed in the Florida and is authorized to practice US immigration law nationwide. The above answer is for general informational use only. You should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. The answer does not create an attorney/client relationship unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client.

  6. No you should have no problem. A conditional green-card holder is allowed travel just as as someone who has a permanent 10 year green-card. Ensure you check with the countries you travel should they require a visa or not and to make sure you have a valid passport from your country including your 2 year conditional green-card.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics