Skip to main content

I just got my apeal notice to show up on April 4th, but I am working out of country until may, how can I get a continuance?

Boston, MA |

Traffic citation was given at 8:20 am December 13th, I was parked half in cross walk next to coffee shop, when the cop pulled up, I was in the getting a coffee but left the car running with doors locked keys in pocket. I was cited for texting,c. 90 :13B, blocking crosswalk c. 89:11; and unattended motor vehicle c. 90:13, the cop was a real jerk, I was not even in car, he told me that he didn't care that I was not driving or that the texting citation was bogus, just smiled and said "I don't care if you were doing anything wrong or not, just apeal it". In full disclosure I do have a bad driving record from a few years back, and when he approached me on the sidewalk he asked for my license and I admitted to a parking violation explaining that because I was not in the car, it was not moving

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Not an immigration question.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I agree with Mr. Shusterman ... not an immigration question.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


If you will be out of the country, you may want to either call the court where the hearing is being held and ask if the date can be pushed out or consult an attorney who may be able to file a motion to continue on your behalf but I'm not sure if that is necessary for such a hearing so you should check with the court first. Best of luck.

Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. (It lets us know how we are doing.) Attorney Kremer is licensed to practice in Massachusetts. Please visit her Avvo profile for contact information. In accordance with Avvo guidelines, the following disclaimer applies to all responses given in this forum: The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created through the above answer.


Go to the court and talk to the clerk. Ask for a continuance.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer