I just got married and we want out

Asked over 1 year ago - Ocala, FL

I just want out

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

7

7

Answered . Under Florida law dissolution of marriage is not based on fault of one or both of the parties. There are only two grounds for a divorce in Florida: (1)The marriage is irretrievably broken, or broken, or (2) One of the parties is mentally incompetent. Divorce based on mental incompetence is not often used.
    Additional requirements are that one spouse must have lived in Florida for at least 6 months immediately prior to filing of the dissolution of marriage. Florida must have jurisdiction over the other spouse or that spouse must consent to jurisdiction if they are not also a resident of Florida. In a divorce the Court declares the marriage contract irretrievably broken; whereas in an annulment, the Court says that the marriage never happened. Annulments are much more difficult to prove and it is much rarer than divorce. I suggest you speak with a local divorce attorney to discuss your options. I hope this helps, good luck.

2. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

4

Answered . This question may have immigration consequences depending on the nature of the relationship and any pending petitions/applications. From your question it is unclear what the immigration issues are if any . Consult with an immigration attorney who also does/knows family law if appropriate.

3. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

3

Answered . Then get a divorce. If you have filed a petition with the USCIS contact them to cancel it.

4. Karen-Lee Pollak

4

Answered . I have changed the topic to marriage and family law