I just got married and my husband pays child support to his sons mother.

Asked over 1 year ago - Glen Cove, NY

I see that i have no "direct" legal resposibility. I was just wondering is there a court case where the judge ruled against the mother to collect support from the step parent?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Mary Katherine Brown


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I am not aware of such a case; however, I have not had occasion to research this topic recently. If there is one, it would be very, very unusual circumstances.

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@... more
  2. Maria C. Tebano

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . As the step parent, you are not responsible for the support of your husband's son. The only way that you would ever be responsible for support your husband's son is if you were to adopt him. Otherwise, no, not ever!

  3. Lawrence Allen Weinreich

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . there are no such cases.

    I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

    * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

    This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,979 answers this week

2,818 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,979 answers this week

2,818 attorneys answering