I just got married, my husband owned a home before we married.Am I entitled to it if he were to pass away?He does have 1 child.

Asked over 5 years ago - Watertown, WI

I just got married and my husband had owned a home before we married. If something should happen to him, would it automatically be mine then? He has a 17 year old daughter from a previous marriage. He and his ex wife did not own the home together. We do not have a will.

1. David G. Weilbacher, Esq.

1

Answered . You need to consult with a WI attorney, but in Ohio, the home would not automatically become yours. You may have a claim to a portion of his estate, and may have the right to continue to live in the house for a certain period of time.

This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. It is also to give you general information and a general understanding of the law. This website is not intended to give you specific legal advice. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. I attempt to provide quality information, but the law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance.