I just got in an accident yesterday and I'm sixteen, is it possible my license will get taken away?

Elwood, IL |

I'm 16 and in May I got 3 tickets/ speeding, 2 people in the car without having my license for a year and insurance/. I only had to pay for the speeding ticket and driving class and then I got another court date. Unfortunately yesterday I got into an accident, no one was hurt, it was on private property and the cars were drivable so we have to file police reports by actually going to the station. My question is, would I get my license taken away?

It depends upon how many convictions you actually have for the first 3. If some of the tickets were dismissed, you were OK. As for your accident yesterday, if no ticket was issued, you should be fine. On a personal not: I ride and drive through your home town on a very regular basis and would not want to worry about a 16 year old crashing into me. Please be more responsible and more careful.

Thank you and believe me Theres nothing to worry about... Both of my incidents happened in Joliet.

It goes without saying that you're not off to a great start on your driving history. I'm not your Dad, so I can't give you a lecture, but this has all the warning signs of a dangerous path. I've seen it dozens of times. Get it straight!

That said, I could see a judge dropping the hammer on you with a suspension or limited license, or at a minimum requiring an advanced driver improvement class or a teen driving program.

Every case and situation is different and vary greatly depending on specific facts. My posts are not to be considered complete answers to each question. My posts do not constitute an attorney/client relationship. I am only licensed to practice in the State of Florida and in federal courts. Florida Bar #337821, admitted 1982.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

While I agree with the asker's driving history, on what basis do you see a judge doing that? The first tickets were disposed of and there is no pending traffic charge.

Jonathan Burton Blecher

Jonathan Burton Blecher

I would be happy to have a conversation about my answer outside of this forum. Feel free to call my office 305.670.1800.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

There is no need to talk by phone. The answers should be based upon Illinois law and at this point there is no judicial action pending.

I have to agree with Judy, I may be 16 but Im not stupid. Illinois laws and judges are much different.

Jonathan Burton Blecher

Jonathan Burton Blecher

Maybe you're right about the judges in Illinois. What happens when you report the accident at a police station if they determine you are at fault? They issue you a traffic citation. You go to court and the judge sees the driving history. That's when a judge could take some action on your license, based on your driving history. Was the citation for driving in violation of a license restriction (16, not licensed for a year) a criminal traffic violation or simply a civil traffic infraction, just so were all clear about your record? Let's take it one step further. If you don't finish paying your fines and complete traffic school from the first incident, your license could be effected at some level. Did you have insurance at the time of the accident? It sounds like you didn't. If not, when you report the accident you may have license problems with DMV. These are not issues in law specific to the state of Illinois, this is basic stuff that applies almost universally across the country. And, while I'm not a member of the Illinois Bar, I have been in criminal law/DUI/Traffic practice for over 30 years. Good Luck.

I did pay for the ticket, myself I may add, I did finish driving school and yes I do have insurance.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

And no. tickets are generally not issued when a report is made at the station, possibly because the the accident is so minimal.

Bad choices require a good lawyer. Talk to a traffic attorney to get this straight.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL
773-944-9737
Email:  stephen@hofflawyer.com
Website:  www.hofflawyer.com
Blog:  www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

Learn it now. When you get a ticket, the ONLY thing to do is contact a traffic attorney. NEVER pay a ticket. Sure it is easy - until your license is revoked. I must echo my colleagues sentiments that you need to be more careful. 3 tickets and an accident at 16 will make you all but uninsurable. Be careful and always consult a traffic attorney BEFORE you pay ANY ticket.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links: CJCandiano@CandianoLaw.com http://www.CandianoLaw.com

I probably shouldve said this before but I did hire one for the tickets which is why I only had to pay for yhe speeding ticket.

You might -- the best chance you have of keeping your license is hiring an attorney to fight for the best plea bargain you can get. The biggest concern I have is it appears you had no auto insurance-- that is not only going to be costly, but it may take the license all by itself.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

I did have insurance and I still do, at the time I didn't have the updated insurance in the car, which is why it was waived in court.

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Oh -- that's great news! If you had insurance, I think you can save your license!!

Hire a good lawyer.

If you get cited, spend a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer.

yes. you have GDL issues, one conviction alone can delay full licensing.

Get a traffic court lawyer, and hopefully it can be resolved.

Traffic tickets topics