I just got in an accident yesterday and I'm sixteen, is it possible my license will get taken away?

Elwood, IL |

I'm 16 and in May I got 3 tickets/ speeding, 2 people in the car without having my license for a year and insurance/. I only had to pay for the speeding ticket and driving class and then I got another court date. Unfortunately yesterday I got into an accident, no one was hurt, it was on private property and the cars were drivable so we have to file police reports by actually going to the station. My question is, would I get my license taken away?

It depends upon how many convictions you actually have for the first 3. If some of the tickets were dismissed, you were OK. As for your accident yesterday, if no ticket was issued, you should be fine. On a personal not: I ride and drive through your home town on a very regular basis and would not want to worry about a 16 year old crashing into me. Please be more responsible and more careful.

2. It goes without saying that you're not off to a great start on your driving history. I'm not your Dad, so I can't give you a lecture, but this has all the warning signs of a dangerous path. I've seen it dozens of times. Get it straight!

That said, I could see a judge dropping the hammer on you with a suspension or limited license, or at a minimum requiring an advanced driver improvement class or a teen driving program.

Every case and situation is different and vary greatly depending on specific facts. My posts are not to be considered complete answers to each question. My posts do not constitute an attorney/client relationship. I am only licensed to practice in the State of Florida and in federal courts. Florida Bar #337821, admitted 1982.

3. Bad choices require a good lawyer. Talk to a traffic attorney to get this straight.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email:  stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website:  www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog:  www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

4. Learn it now. When you get a ticket, the ONLY thing to do is contact a traffic attorney. NEVER pay a ticket. Sure it is easy - until your license is revoked. I must echo my colleagues sentiments that you need to be more careful. 3 tickets and an accident at 16 will make you all but uninsurable. Be careful and always consult a traffic attorney BEFORE you pay ANY ticket.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links: CJCandiano@CandianoLaw.com http://www.CandianoLaw.com

5. You might -- the best chance you have of keeping your license is hiring an attorney to fight for the best plea bargain you can get. The biggest concern I have is it appears you had no auto insurance-- that is not only going to be costly, but it may take the license all by itself.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

6. Hire a good lawyer.

7. If you get cited, spend a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer.

8. yes. you have GDL issues, one conviction alone can delay full licensing.

9. Get a traffic court lawyer, and hopefully it can be resolved.

Traffic tickets topics