I just got in an accident yesterday and I'm sixteen, is it possible my license will get taken away?

Asked about 1 year ago - Elwood, IL

I'm 16 and in May I got 3 tickets/ speeding, 2 people in the car without having my license for a year and insurance/. I only had to pay for the speeding ticket and driving class and then I got another court date. Unfortunately yesterday I got into an accident, no one was hurt, it was on private property and the cars were drivable so we have to file police reports by actually going to the station. My question is, would I get my license taken away?

1. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

10

2

Answered . Bad choices require a good lawyer. Talk to a traffic attorney to get this straight.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email:  stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website:  www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog:  www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

2. Judy A. Goldstein

8

1

Best Answer

Answered . It depends upon how many convictions you actually have for the first 3. If some of the tickets were dismissed, you were OK. As for your accident yesterday, if no ticket was issued, you should be fine. On a personal not: I ride and drive through your home town on a very regular basis and would not want to worry about a 16 year old crashing into me. Please be more responsible and more careful.

3. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Pro

7

1

Answered . Learn it now. When you get a ticket, the ONLY thing to do is contact a traffic attorney. NEVER pay a ticket. Sure it is easy - until your license is revoked. I must echo my colleagues sentiments that you need to be more careful. 3 tickets and an accident at 16 will make you all but uninsurable. Be careful and always consult a traffic attorney BEFORE you pay ANY ticket.

4. Joseph Younes

6

Answered . Hire a good lawyer.

5. Jonathan Burton Blecher

Pro

7

1

Answered . It goes without saying that you're not off to a great start on your driving history. I'm not your Dad, so I can't give you a lecture, but this has all the warning signs of a dangerous path. I've seen it dozens of times. Get it straight!

That said, I could see a judge dropping the hammer on you with a suspension or limited license, or at a minimum requiring an advanced driver improvement class or a teen driving program.

6. Daniel Nelson Deasy

7

Answered . You might -- the best chance you have of keeping your license is hiring an attorney to fight for the best plea bargain you can get. The biggest concern I have is it appears you had no auto insurance-- that is not only going to be costly, but it may take the license all by itself.

7. Ted Harvatin

Pro

4

Answered . yes. you have GDL issues, one conviction alone can delay full licensing.

Pro

5

Answered . If you get cited, spend a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer.

9. Tatiana Kadetskaya

4

Answered . Get a traffic court lawyer, and hopefully it can be resolved.