I just got charged with unlawful possesion of marijuana its my first offence, what can happen?

Asked about 3 years ago - Amherst, NY

I am 18 living in New york, i was just charged with unlawful possesion of marijuana, this is my first offecence. The officer made it sound like all i have to do is show up on the court date, expect to pay a fine around the price of a speeding ticket, and thats it. What can i expect to happen? What should i do to prepare? What are the consiqueces of such a charge?

1. Carl Scott Spector

Pro

Answered . In New York you can expect to be offered an ACD, which is an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal, also known as a marijuana ACD. As a result of that you would not have a criminal record. You may have to do community service.

Be aware that you do not have to accept this offer, and you do have every right to challenge the proofs and assert your rights.

Make sure you have an experienced attorney analyze the facts and the law before accepting any plea.

Good Luck-