Skip to main content

I just got a speeding ticket and child restraint ticket, do i need a lawyer?

Champaign, IL |

I have been summoned to appear in court and its in a different state and i cannot make it there at that date. I also want my case to stay away from public records to avoid insurance premium rise. If I show up on the court date and pay the fines, will my case be made public? If an attorney represents me, do i need to still appear? What would the attorney in champaign county Illinois usually charge me for this case?

Attorney Answers 1


If you are summoned on a speeding citation in a different state, that jurisdiction has a different procedure from Illinois regarding traffic matters. You need a practicing attorney in that state to represent you.
Also, without a legal representation in court there is no way to ensure your case will be disposed of without becoming a public record. In Illinois a supervision is not a conviction, yet I am not certain about the traffic laws of that state you were cited for speeding.
I had out of state clients in Illinois and was able to successfully dispose their traffic matters, however, the client had to furnish an Affidavit and a Powere of Attorney to enter a plea on his behalf with a reasonably acceptable outcome.
You may call the Champaign County Clerk of the Court office and ask for a telephone number for a referral to a local attorney practicing in the area with traffic offenses. Additionally, there is no set price range for such representation, however a reasonable counsel would not exceed a few hundred dollars.


The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law.
Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding.
Further take notice that the site should not be used as a substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction.
The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications change frequently and may vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales.
Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual specific legal circumstances involving one’s personal legal issues.
Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact:

Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics