I just got a notice from the IRS saying that my 2011 returns are being adjusted due to a MISC-1099 that I did not reported.

Asked about 2 years ago - Santee, CA

The supposed MISC - 1099 is for an a debt forgiveness for HUBCAP Bank / Best Buy that in 2012 were included in a BK . My BK was discharged in 05 / 2012 what can I do to get this take care of since the original debt was discharged

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 8

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Attorney Weisen gave good advice.

    Whatever notice you received from the IRS should have identifying information on it (a Notice Number, an address for a mailed response, a name and a phone number).

    Make a call first. Even if you speak to someone and they say it is all good, follow up with a written letter including the Schedules F (listing the debt) and Notice of Discharge.

    Good luck.

    If you need further clarity, please email me at MICHAEL@MIRELAND.US Answers to questions are for general... more
  2. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Contact the auditor and show your bk discharge and schedule E listing unsecured creditors

    Postings provided on this forum are informal and do not establish an attorney client relationship. To discuss... more
  3. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your description is a little ambiguous. As I read it, the IRS is saying that they are adjusting your tax returns for the 2011 tax year because you did not include income on your 2011 return from a 1099-MISC that was filed with the IRS for your 2011 tax year. Also, as I read it you filed bankruptcy in 2012 and included this same debt on your schedule of creditors.

    If that is the case, then the 1099-MISC is reporting valid income from discharge of indebtedness that you should have included on your 2011 return because that debt was discharged in 2011, which would have been prior to your bankruptcy filing in 2012.

    My answer does not constitute legal advice and may not be relied upon by anyone for any purpose and does not... more
  4. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Debt forgiveness is shown on a 1099-C and not a 1099-Misc. If you are 100% sure it is a 1099-Misc, you need to find out exactly what it is from. If it is a 1099-C, you can exclude the income to the extent of insolvency using a Form 982.

    Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    Tax Attorney
    Tax Attorney - Seattle
    Tax Attorney - Bellevue
    Tax Attorney - Everett
    Tax Attorney - Kent
    Innocent Spouse Relief Everett WA
    Seattle Business Tax Attorney
    IRS Tax Penalties Everett WA
    Back Tax Returns Everett WA
    IRS Tax Problem Help Everett WA
    Offer In Compromise Everett WA
    Payroll Tax Problem Seattle
    IRS Tax Audit Bellevue WA

Related Topics


Bankruptcy is a legal way for people or businesses who are no longer capable of paying back their bills to clear these debts and start over.


There are different types of debt, but all involve one person (the debtor) owing money to another (the creditor). Terms of repayment are governed by a contract.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now