I just got a DUI in the middle of planning to study abroad this Fall for a semester.

Asked over 1 year ago - Macomb, MI

I haven't yet completed my study abroad application and am not sure I want to pay the app fee if I'm going to need it for court fines. It is my first offense in Michigan, yet I blew high. Should I continue applying? I am receiving scholarships to study abroad. I have a 3.8 gpa. Will any of this help my case? I also would need to get a VISA. Could I be denied if convicted for a DUI?

1. J. Matthew Catchick Jr.

Pro

4

Answered . I would respectfully recommend you consult with an OWI Specialist like myself, to ensure all your available defenses are reviewed/presented, and to effectively plea bargain on your behalf. If you blew .17 or above, you may be charged under the fairly-new "Super Drunk" or "High BAC" offense, which will result in a suspension of your license for a full year. The first 45 days of that year will be what is called a "hard" suspension, with no driving whatsoever. Thereafter, for the balance of the year, you will have to pay to have an Ignition Interlock Device ("IID") -- a breathalyzer -- installed and maintained on your vehicle. Also, if you want to leave the State to study abroad, you will need the Court's permission, which can be difficult to secure. I offer free initial consults; please feel free to call me. Warmest regards, Matt Catchick. 248-606-5522.

2. Gary Francis Kennedy II

4

Answered . You need an attorney to help you out with this. Super Drunk law in Michigan can carry heavy fines and costs. You need to talk to an attorney as soon as possible.

Kennedy Law Office, PLLC
    586-580-1942
    Free Consultations. Payment Plans.

3. Jonathan Andrew Paul

4

Answered . Sorry to hear about your legal troubles. I'm going to link to a helpful article that discusses the consequences of a Michigan DUI.

4. John F. Brennan

3

Answered . As you might expect, my first suggestion is that you retain an attorney in the underlying matter.
    There is insufficient detail in order to be a tell when and for how long you would be broad but generally such things will be accommodated if you do not have prior similar issues.
    On that subject, one of your comments makes me nervous when you relate that this is "my first offensive Michigan". Do you have any other prior alcohol-related violations in the past in other states? That could change the expected scenario significantly.
    Regarding your questions about the visa, that I cannot answer. The fact that you are receiving scholarships to study abroad and have maintained a 3.8 GPA are both in your favor.

5. Matthew C Simon

Pro

3

Answered . Get an experience criminal attorney familiar with international law ASAP. Different States and Countries all have different, ever-changing laws. Don't get held up at Customs. Get things straight now and then enjoy your trip. Best of luck.