I just got a battery first offense, they offered me a 200$ fine, and be done with it, and I have court tomorrow, should I take t

Asked about 2 years ago - Panama City, FL

What would be the smartest thing to do in your oppinion?

1. Elmer Sanchez

7

1

Answered . It sounds like the state does not have a case against you if they are willing to offer such a good deal. Try to talk to a local attorney in court tomorrow. Otherwise, ask if the offer can be left open for one week, and talk to an attorney during that time.

2. David Richard Damore

Pro

5

Answered . Let's flip a coin. No lets not. You really must talk to your attorney, you know the one familiar with your case... I'd be better able to tell you who to date than make a decision with no facts and boing nothing about you.

3. John Skyler Riordan

5

Answered . $200 fine could mean pleading guilty and receiving an adjudication and court costs. There is no way to tell from the info available. You need a lawyer to represent you. I agree with with my colleague ask for a postponement tomorrow so you can hire a lawyer.

4. Zachary Michael Ward

3

Answered . A misdemeanor simple battery charge is not simple. If you are adjudicated of a battery, it can have dramatic effects on future employment and school admissions. You should talk to an attorney and find out what defenses are available (if any) and try and fight the battery charge on its merits. If you are in a situation where there is little doubt of your guilt, and the state will not have a problem convicting you, an attorney can still help. If you have an attorney he can negotiate with the Office of the State Attorney for pre-trial intervention, a deferred prosecution agreement or a plea to a lesser offense.

Do not walk into court unrepresented and just accept what the State wants to do to you. The State Attorney is NOT looking out for your best interest. Hire someone who will.