Skip to main content

I just got a battery first offense, they offered me a 200$ fine, and be done with it, and I have court tomorrow, should I take t

Panama City, FL |

What would be the smartest thing to do in your oppinion?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. It sounds like the state does not have a case against you if they are willing to offer such a good deal. Try to talk to a local attorney in court tomorrow. Otherwise, ask if the offer can be left open for one week, and talk to an attorney during that time.

    Contact through this site alone does not establish a client lawyer relationship. This information is not to be used as a substitute for consulting with an attorney. I or any of the attorneys at longwelllawyers would be happy to give a free consultation. Call 407-426-5757. <p><a href="" target="_blank">Longwell Lawyers</a><br /> <a href="" target="_blank">Orlando Criminal Defense Attorneys</a><br /> <a href="" target="_blank">Orlando Family Law Attorneys</a></p>

  2. Let's flip a coin. No lets not. You really must talk to your attorney, you know the one familiar with your case... I'd be better able to tell you who to date than make a decision with no facts and boing nothing about you.

  3. $200 fine could mean pleading guilty and receiving an adjudication and court costs. There is no way to tell from the info available. You need a lawyer to represent you. I agree with with my colleague ask for a postponement tomorrow so you can hire a lawyer.

    John S. Riordan, Esq., RIORDAN & HERMAN, PL., West Palm Beach, FL, (561) 650-8291. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm Beach County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.

  4. A misdemeanor simple battery charge is not simple. If you are adjudicated of a battery, it can have dramatic effects on future employment and school admissions. You should talk to an attorney and find out what defenses are available (if any) and try and fight the battery charge on its merits. If you are in a situation where there is little doubt of your guilt, and the state will not have a problem convicting you, an attorney can still help. If you have an attorney he can negotiate with the Office of the State Attorney for pre-trial intervention, a deferred prosecution agreement or a plea to a lesser offense.

    Do not walk into court unrepresented and just accept what the State wants to do to you. The State Attorney is NOT looking out for your best interest. Hire someone who will.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics