I just got a battery first offense, they offered me a 200$ fine, and be done with it, and I have court tomorrow, should I take t

Panama City, FL |
Filed under: Criminal defense

What would be the smartest thing to do in your oppinion?

It sounds like the state does not have a case against you if they are willing to offer such a good deal. Try to talk to a local attorney in court tomorrow. Otherwise, ask if the offer can be left open for one week, and talk to an attorney during that time.

Contact through this site alone does not establish a client lawyer relationship. This information is not to be used as a substitute for consulting with an attorney. I or any of the attorneys at longwelllawyers would be happy to give a free consultation. Call 407-426-5757. <p><a href="http://LongwellLawyers.com" target="_blank">Longwell Lawyers</a><br /> <a href="http://LongwellLawyers.com" target="_blank">Orlando Criminal Defense Attorneys</a><br /> <a href="http://LongwellLawyers.com" target="_blank">Orlando Family Law Attorneys</a></p>

Ok so the court date that they offered me that and told me to think about it, until court tomorrow, now if I don't take it, and plea not guilty, it being my first offense, do you think it is most likely to get dropped, and what if there was a camera at the place I was arrested, and they have a video?

Elmer Sanchez

Elmer Sanchez

These questions are exactly why you need to talk to a local attorney. They can get all of the state's evidence and see about a dismissal.

So the smartest thing to do is ask for a postponement tomorrow so you can hire a lawyer... ?

I*

So if the state has no evidence, the case will get dismissed with a lawyer?

Elmer Sanchez

Elmer Sanchez

If the state has no evidence it has no business making any offer. That is unethical. A lawyer can help determine the strength of any evidence and the chance of a dismissal

Yeah that makes sense. I just know the person that offered me that he said if they get a tape from gas station where it happened, which i know they have one, just not sure if they will get it, and I do not accept 200$ fee, then I could get probation .... Now do you think they will go through all this trouble for a first offense and get tape from gas station?

I'm als pretty sure the girl pressed charges, but was talking about dropping them? what if she doesnt? will that affect the case?

Let's flip a coin. No lets not. You really must talk to your attorney, you know the one familiar with your case... I'd be better able to tell you who to date than make a decision with no facts and boing nothing about you.

Thanks you've been real helpful.

$200 fine could mean pleading guilty and receiving an adjudication and court costs. There is no way to tell from the info available. You need a lawyer to represent you. I agree with with my colleague ask for a postponement tomorrow so you can hire a lawyer.

John S. Riordan, Esq., RIORDAN & HERMAN, PL., West Palm Beach, FL, (561) 650-8291. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm Beach County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.

Also, what if they find a video of the altercation. Can they use that against me in court? And if I dont take fine, and plea not guilty, do you think it will most likely be dropped?

I want to ask the Judge for a postponement tomorrow. How can i ask the judge for a copy of the evidence against me?

A misdemeanor simple battery charge is not simple. If you are adjudicated of a battery, it can have dramatic effects on future employment and school admissions. You should talk to an attorney and find out what defenses are available (if any) and try and fight the battery charge on its merits. If you are in a situation where there is little doubt of your guilt, and the state will not have a problem convicting you, an attorney can still help. If you have an attorney he can negotiate with the Office of the State Attorney for pre-trial intervention, a deferred prosecution agreement or a plea to a lesser offense.

Do not walk into court unrepresented and just accept what the State wants to do to you. The State Attorney is NOT looking out for your best interest. Hire someone who will.