I just found out the if u enter the US using c-1 visa u are eligible to adjust ur status. And i came here using c-1 visa.

Asked over 1 year ago - Woodland Hills, CA

C-1 visa (pass through the us going to other destination) not the jumpship thing But i do have i-94 and port of entry. My question is if i marry a us citizen will it help me to change my status? And if its the right way to do , do i need to consult a lawyer first before making any actions? Or just do it right away?im so confused rightnow.i came here last 2009 and obviously i overstayed here in us .

Attorney answers (4)

  1. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No. Entering with a C-1 means you cannot change you status in the US. You must process abroad.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  2. Michael Haven

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You are correct that those who enter on a C-1 transit visa (not as a crewmen) are eligible to adjust status through marriage to a U.S. citizen although you will most likely have to explain your intent upon entry to the immigration officer. I just had a case like this and it was eventually approved but I had to educate the officer on the law because he thought my client was ineligible to adjust on a C-1 visa, no matter the circumstances of his entry. For a case like this, you should hire an experienced immigration attorney.

  3. Christopher Michael Pogue

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleague, C-1 is some instances are eligible for Adjustment of Status. However you need to be much more careful with this type of case, as there are a number of potential issues. For example you mention that you are aware of the jumping ship provision. If your visa was a combo C1-D1 visa you could face a stiff uphill battle. Here is a recent case denying eligibility to a C-1/D-1 that was admitted as C-1.


    Though it likely goes without saying, marriage for the sole purpose of obtaining a Green Card is a crime, and immigration will hold you to a very high standard in establishing that your current marriage is in fact for the purpose of sharing your life with your US spouse, and not merely the limited purpose of a Green Card.

    Even if you were simply out of status, I would strongly recommend using an immigration attorney. That you entered on a C-1 only strengthens this opinion.

    Good luck.

    Representing clients throughout the US and around the world: www.PogueImmigrationLaw.com (513) 549-4420. We cannot... more
  4. Jesus Novo III

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is one of those questions that even experienced immigration attorneys miss. In general, C-1 visa holders cannot adjust or change status, however there are exceptions. One exception is for a person who can avail himself of the benefits of 245(i). Consult an experienced immigration attorney; better still, two experienced immigration attorneys. Good luck.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Adjustment of immigration status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,574 answers this week

2,559 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,574 answers this week

2,559 attorneys answering